Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Good Design

At er reading through the book, The Design of Everyday Things, I have noticed many things that have both a good and bad design. Although the design that I have picked to be my favorite design I've known about for awhile, I still believe it is good.

Back in Akron, Ohio, in the mall, there is an interactive advertising system that I thought had a very good interface. It is made by a company called Reactrix, which I recently found out went bankrupt.



Their advertising was essentially a projector on the ceiling that displayed the images on the floor. You could interact with the projected images by moving over them. By using infrared cameras to track movement, there can be many people interacting at the same time. They made them fun to play with too. There were things such as popping balloons, racing games, shooting games, and anything else they could think of. It was a fun way to kill long periods of time, and I'm sure some businesses were trying to sell stuff too.

By making the advertisements interactive, more people would pay attention to them instead of just walking past without even looking. I believe it was a very novel idea, and they are certainly not the only company that has been using the technology, just not very good with their book keeping.

I can only imagine using this kind of technology to interact with a regular home computer. Being able to do things with just the wave of your hand. Of course it still needs a lot of improvement to compare to a keyboard and mouse but its a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment